The cuckoo don't take care of its sons. It reproduces itself using the
nest of others
birds , like for example, here, the nest of the blackcap. The following pictures try
to tell something about that. Click on thumbnails to
view full-size artwork.
Left to the right:
1. The female cuckoo takes off an egg from the nest of the blackcap.
2. Next it puts an its own egg in the removed one place.
3. After that, it goes away and seeks others nests to repeat the operation.
4. Without to perceive what has happened, the blackcap comeback to its nest to
hatch the eggs.
5. The cuckoo is the first to be born and just after this takes off the eggs
of the blackcap to be free from competitors.
6. The blackcap is feeding the young cuckoo that, meanwhile, exceed its stepmother
several times in size.
7. In August, the young cuckoo is ready to undertake its long journey to
the African Tropical regions. In the next Spring, it will be back at
the place in which it was born.
In the next page you can see some Portuguese popular believes